The Children’s TherAplay Foundation came from the most unlikely of beginnings. In 2000, an Indianapolis-area occupational therapist contacted Craig Dobbs, owner of Lucky Farms, about borrowing some of the Lucky horses to help special needs children utilizing an innovative form of treatment called hippotherapy.
Blessed with four children of his own, Craig was happy share some of Lucky Farms' resources to help children in need, especially when he began to see for himself what the therapist had told him to begin with: Hippotherapy works.
In 2001, Children's TherAplay became a not-for-profit organization, still on the grounds of Lucky Farms. In the ensuing years, Children's TherAplay founder Craig and other caring individuals helped expand not only the facility, building the therapy clinic and administrative offices we still use to this day, but also the program.
Today we are proud to offer pediatric physical and occupational therapy, both using the tool of hippotherapy, to 170 children each week. Each day we are honored to contribute to and celebrate the first steps, first words, first jumps, and other remarkable gains of Central Indiana children who have special needs.
What makes Children's TherAplay so special?
Here are five of our favorite reasons.
- Our therapists integrate the movement of horses, a form of therapy called hippotherapy, into pediatric physical and occupational therapy treatments.
- While there are many facilities that were created to treat adults and adapted to treat children, Children's TherAplay has always been, first and foremost, child-focused.
- We hear it so often from the families who Children's TherAplay serves: “Children’s TherAplay is the highlight of our week!”
- Children's TherAplay is a not-for-profit organization. Rather than focusing on profits, we are focused on patient care and patient gains.
- Our clinic and heated indoor riding arena mean we can serve patients year-round. And since Children's TherAplay operates throughout the year rather than in short-term sessions, we are able to offer our kiddos continuous, consistent treatment that helps them grow stronger and more independent.
The mission of The Children’s TherAplay Foundation is to provide children with special needs a foundation for developing life skills through innovative therapies, including equine-assisted physical and occupational therapies, in a safe and caring environment.
The Children's TherAplay Foundation is the nationally renowned leader and educator in equine-assisted therapy, which is enthusiastically endorsed as an effective treatment tool for children with special needs.
Children TherAplay collaborates with organizations that share our passion for improving the lives of those we serve. By providing a warm and supportive environment, we help children and their families achieve their goals and dreams.
Why does it matter that Children’s TherAplay is a United Way of Central Indiana partner agency?
Because United Way agency partners must go through a certification process, ensuring each program is fully vetted and certified, the United Way partner agency logo has been likened to the “Good Housekeeping” seal of approval. It guarantees your contributions are being used wisely and appropriately.
We're very proud to say that Children's TherAplay has received the highest rating possible in the intensive evaluation that occurs every four years. It takes a lot to be rated "exceeds standards."
There's a place at the table for everyone
The Children’s TherAplay Foundation is committed to the inclusion of and full participation by all persons in the achievement of its mission. It is the belief of all associated with Children’s TherAplay that bringing together different experiences, beliefs, and cultures allows us to collectively and more effectively serve our constituents, our community, and our world.
Diversity is the quality of being different or unique at the individual or group level. This includes age; ethnicity; gender; gender identity; language differences; nationality; parental status; physical, mental and developmental abilities; race; religion; sexual orientation; socio-economic status; and more.
Inclusion is a strategy to leverage diversity. Diversity always exists in social systems. Inclusion, on the other hand, must be created. In order to leverage diversity, an environment must be created where people feel supported, listened to and able to do their personal best.
Children’s TherAplay will provide equal opportunity in the delivery of services and in employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, disability, age, gender, or sexual orientation. Furthermore, Children’s TherAplay shall, to the fullest extent possible, refrain from making financial or contractual commitments to any other agency, organization, business, or industry which practices, condones, or perpetuates discrimination in employment and/or provision of services.
Did you know?
Each hour of treatment costs Children’s TherAplay $183; however, the average health insurance reimbursement is only $82. Your support helps close that $101 per-treatment gap and ensure that Central Indiana children with special needs will continue to have access to these life-changing therapies for years to come.
Ready to get involved?
There are so many easy and enjoyable ways you can help make a difference for the children and families we serve.
- Donations of any amount – whether dollars, items from our Wish List, or in-kind services – are always appreciated.
- Join us as a sponsor or guest at one of our special events and fundraisers.
- Volunteer as an individual, part of a group, or at a special event.
- Change someone’s life – refer a child for treatment.
- Cheer on the kiddos through our blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, or Instagram pages.
- Shop Amazon.com? Start your shopping through our Amazon Smile page instead – it’s the same Amazon you love, just with a different starting point! – and Amazon will make a donation.
- Sign up for Kroger Community Rewards and Kroger will make a donation each time you swipe your card.